History of Cayuga Dragway Tornoto Motorsports Park

HISTORY OF THE DRAGWAY

Toronto Motorsports Park has been the home of drag racing in Ontario since 1955. It started as a Sunday only operation at Kohler Airstrip sharing the asphalt with airplanes. Since then the track has had many names and many changes. It is now recognized as one of the best racing facilities in North America.

 

The following briefly outlines the changes that have occurred since 1955:

1960 The tracks direction is changed to the way it is today.
1967 The track became Kohler Superboss Dragway and joined the NHRA as part of Division 3, the North Central Division. 
1968 The newly named Cayuga 1320 Dragway held the first race in the CanAm series of drag racing.
1971 Dragway Park was shifted to Division 1, the North East Division of NHRA.
1972 Dragway Park held its first WCS meet.
1992 Cayuga Motorsports Park joined the IHRA. 
1992 Cayuga Motorsports Park hosted the first IHRA National event outside of the United States, the Summer Nationals.
1995  Kohler Airstrip gives way to Kohler Drag Strip, at least on Sundays.
1998 Cayuga Dragway Park was once again sanctioned by NHRA.
2001 Cayuga Dragway Park returned to IHRA sanctioning. 
2001 Cayuga Dragway Park changed its name to Toronto Motorsports Park.
2002 The inaugural race of the ACDelco Canadian Nationals was held August 9-11 and attracted a capacity crowd.
2007 Last IHRA National Event
2010 Changed to AHRA Sanctioning. First time sanction comes to Canada. 
2010  First Year of Canadian Nitro Nationals. Largest Drag Race in Canada.
2011 Returned to NHRA Sanctioning.